The University of Massachusetts Boston is part of the prestigious University of Massachusetts systems and is nationally recognized as a model of excellence for urban public universities. Recognized for innovative research, UMass Boston offers its diverse student population both an intimate learning environment and the experience of living in a historic American city.
UMass Boston’s scenic waterfront campus, with easy access to downtown Boston, is located next to the John F. Kennedy Library and Presidential Museum, the Commonwealth Museum and Massachusetts State Archives and the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate.
UMass Boston is just a 10-minute subway ride to downtown Boston. Students can get discounted transit passes and can take a free shuttle bus to and from a major subway station near campus. Buses also stop right on campus and many students also walk or bike to campus and around town.
- The only public research university in the city of Boston
- #112 top public schools (U.S. News & World Report, 2022)
- 16:1 student to faculty ratio
- Tier 1 business school by CEO Magazine
- 3rd most diverse four-year college in the U.S. (24/7 Wall Street)
- 136 countries represented in student body
- $56 million research fundings in 2020
- 500+ companies recruit on campus